If the problem we are trying to solve is preventing potentially long- lived requests from blowing out the connection limit I think it would be better to either:

1) Add an explicit XHR property that indicates this request may be long-lived - this would not only bypass the connection limit but would also indicate to the UA that it should not pipeline other requests on the same connection, if it supports pipelining.

2) Never count XHR-initiated http requests towards the per-server connection limit. .... not seem necessary for the goal of bypassing the connection limit on the UA side. And it seems that an explicit XHR property for this would be more clear.
I agree, I think #1 is the way to go. I don't like #2, because connection limits really are valuable for minimizing server load, and even can help prevent DOS attacks. As I just mentioned in the other email, "Connection: close" is not an appropriate form of advice, IMO. I think that an explicit property that provides advice for UAs is best approach, and that it should be a number-based advice, not a boolean, so that it could be used more effectively and flexibly in heuristic algorithms for making informed pipelining decisions. Kris