Boris Zbarsky wrote:
Julian Reschke wrote:
Since the UA has no idea what sort of XML parser is being used on the server side, I'm not sure it makes sense to bail on attempts to serialize such documents. In particular, if the document _is_ parsed with a non-namespace-aware XML parser, there is no problem.

That's true. But it's not what the XHR spec requires:

"Serialize data into a namespace well-formed XML document and encoded using the encoding given by data.inputEncoding, when not null, or UTF-8 otherwise. Or, if this fails because the Document cannot be serialized act as if data is null." -- <http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/XMLHttpRequest/#send>

So the spec requires silent data loss here, which I think is an extremely bad idea.

Agreed. I think the spec needs changing to allow this use case, personally...

I think it should say that if the DOM can't be serialized, an exception needs to be thrown.

Not sure whether it makes sense to allow non-XMLNS-compliant serializations, though.

BR, Julian