On Jun 13, 2008, at 5:20 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
On Jun 13, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

Hi All,

Since I haven't received any feedback on the various straw-men in the "Opting in to cookies" thread, I'll send a full proposal (wrote most of this yesterday, Thomas wrote some opinions on cookies this morning).

First off, as before, when I talk about "cookies" in this mail I really mean cookies + digest auth headers + any other headers that carry the users credentials to a site. However i'll just use the term "cookies"
for readability, and since that is on the web currently the most
common carrier of credentials.

So here goes:

When loading a resource using access-control associate the request with
a "with credentials" flag.

When the resource is loaded using an URI which starts with the string "user-private:" set the "with credentials" flag to true. Otherwise set
it to false.
How could an http or https URI start with the string "user- private:"? Are you proposing a new URI scheme?

My proposal is for nesting schemes, so you'd load
user-private:http://example.com/address.php

That strikes me as distasteful. I would prefer to see a separate includeCrossSiteCredentials parameter on XHR somewhere than to use in- band signalling via the URL, if we feel this is needed.

However, I am not sure I understand the purpose of extra client-side opt-in to cookies. Presumably the client side is cross-site and therefore not under control of the server. So if the server is careless about cross-site requests that include cookies or other credentials, then I do not see how an opt-in mechanism on the client side helps at all.

regards,
Maciej