Jonas Sicking wrote:

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

On Jul 18, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Sunava Dutta wrote:

I’m in time pressure to lock down the header names for Beta 2 to integrate XDR with AC. It seems no body has objected to Jonas’s proposal. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008JulSep/0175.html Please let me know if this discussion is closed so we can make the change.

I think Anne's email represents the most recent agreement and I don't think anyone has objected: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008JulSep/0142.html

The change would be:
Instead of checking for "XDomainRequestAllowed: 1" check for "Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *" or "Access-Control-Allow-Origin: url" where url matches what was sent in the Origin header.

So I have one final request for a change to the above syntax.

How would people feel about the syntax

Access-Control-Allow-Origin: <url>

This would give us at least something for a forwards compatibility story if we wanted to add to the syntax in future versions of the spec. I really think we are being overly optimistic if we think that the current syntax is the be-all end-all syntax that we'll ever want.

For example during the meeting we talked about that banks might want to enforce that the requesting site uses a certain level of encryption, or even a certain certificate. A syntax for that might be:

Access-Control-Allow-Origin: origin <https://foo.com> encryption sha1

Or that the site in question uses some opt-in XSS mitigation technology (such as the one drafted by Brandon Sterns in a previous thread in this WG). This could be done as

Access-Control-Allow-Origin: origin <https://foo.com> require-xss-protection

So the formal syntax would be

"Access-Control-Allow-Origin:" "<" ("*" | url) ">"

We might also want to consider simply calling the header

Access-Control-Allow

Since the above future expansions would make the header not just contain the origin, but also further restrictions on the origin.

/ Jonas