Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:

On 9 Sep 2008, at 14:58, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:

Le mardi 09 septembre 2008 à 09:02 -0400, Boris Zbarsky a écrit :
HTTP has Content-Encoding and Transfer-Encoding, no?  No special effort
on the part of XMLHttpRequest is needed to make use of those, as long as
the underlying HTTP implementation supports them.

Well, at least when an outgoing XmlHttpRequest goes with a body, the
spec could require that upon setting the Content-Encoding header to
"gzip" or "deflate", that the body be adequately transformed. Or is
there another e.g. to POST a gzip request with Content-Encoding?

Why can it not just be added transparently by the XHR implementation?

I doubt that it could. An UA implementation won't know which encodings the server supports.

I suspect compression from the UA to the server will need support on the XHR object in order to work. I don't think the right way to do it is through setRequestHeader though, that seems like a hack at best.

/ Jonas