Boris Zbarsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 2008-09-19 10:44 -0400:

>  Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
> > It's intended in part to be a way to keep all our law-abiding
> > citizen readers in the general public informed about what progress
> > if any the group is making on the spec.
>
>  But if the information is months out of date, is it useful?  Seems to me
>  that it would be better to just make the editor's draft public and be done
>  with it.

Would that we could... Anyway, the Editor's Draft is called that
because that's what it is. It's not called, say, the Working Group
Draft because that's not what it is. It's a version of the spec
that represents the latest change made by the editor and which may
or may not have been reviewed at all by the group. In fact it's
main purpose is to provide some text for the working group to
actually review prior to publication. I'm not sure most people in
the group would agree that they'd like the latest Editor's Draft
to be published on the W3C as something representing the agreement
of the group.

Anyway, we can mitigate the out-of-datedeness issue somewhat by
working harder to try to follow the W3C publish-a-real-WD-from-the-
group-at-least-once-every-3-months "heartbeat" requirement. But
that also is actually a lot easier said than done.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/