On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 21:14:59 +0100, Anne van Kesteren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

var xhrConstructor = iframe.contentWindow.XMLHttpRequest;
iframe.src='http://attackee.example.com/';
.
.
var xhr = new xhrConstructor();

When the constructor is invoked here, the associated document of its associated window object is not safe to do same-origin comparisons against. I've tested this in the main 4 engines, and they all protect against this exploit but as far as I can see someone implementing the spec as it's written would end up vulnerable.

Why would the SECURITY_ERR exception not be thrown during the open() method invocation as the specification requires?

Because when you call "new xhrConstructor()" the document pointer is initialized *but at that point the document of the associated window originates from attackee.example.com*. If the script goes on to request content from this domain, the same-origin comparison against the document pointer would pass when it should in fact fail because the script itself is from a different origin.

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen
Core JavaScript tester, Opera Software