Marcos,

A few weeks ago we talked about how a widget author could add widget- specific metadata (e.g. initial settings) to the config file [1].

I think providing a declarative means to provide this metadata is consistent with existing Req #14 - Widget Metadata [2]. Additionally, at least some of the Widget User Agents in the Widgets Landscape document also support this functionality [3].

The type of syntax to support this would be something like:

<preference name="..." value="..."/>

And the A&E's getPreference method [4] would return the value attribute's value.

I realize an author can define all of its widget-specific metadata in script but having the data defined in the config file is consistent with some existing WUAs.

WDYT?

-Regards, Art Barstow

[1] <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/webapps/20090202>
[2] <http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-reqs/#r14.-widget-metadata>