Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:59:06 +0100, Sean Hogan <shogu...@westnet.com.au> wrote:

Garrett Smith wrote:
It might be worth discussing the load event;
http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Events/events.html#event-load

Seems that it is "specified" to fire on Document or Element (instead
of window).

I would also suggest a progress event on document or window.
Ideally it would be triggered every 100ms during page-load.

I would suggest that the editor of the progress spec get back to dealing with the last issues raised by Ian, but he is writing this email :)
Sorry, I don't understand. Is the progress spec anticipated to augment DOM-3-Events for HTMLDocument and Window?

However the issue of timing is an interesting one. I am not sure how handy it is to expect a particular frequency, since it will vary pretty wildly depending on networks as well as other stuff. As a data point, I am told that while Australian broadband connections manage to deliver on average almost 2/3 of their advertised speed, which is a relatively good correspondence although advertised speeds for things people pay for are often are often pretty low, in terms of connections to actual offshore services they are getting something like 1/8. So you would get small progress over a long time.

The basis for the 100ms event interval is related to the rendering of new content on the web-page. If new content has arrived then scripts should be able to munge it before it is rendered, or at least soon afterwards. It doesn't matter how much content has arrived.
When you emit an event it is pretty low cost. But when you deal with a javascript that listens for that event and then does something else, it is more expensive - and when that starts to eat the battery of your mobile phone, maybe 10 times a second is more than people want.

Anyway, I leave the issue of whether to request user agents to make a particular timing available to the specs that use progress events, although I have reservations about the wisdom of conditioning authors to expect things just because broadband in a few countries can deliver them easily.

I should raise this as a request for HTML5.