The minutes from the March 5 Widgets voice conference are available at the following and copied below:

 <http://www.w3.org/2009/03/05-wam-minutes.html>

WG Members - if you have any comments, corrections, etc., please send them to the public-webapps mail list before 12 March 2009 (the next Widgets voice conference); otherwise these minutes will be considered Approved.

-Regards, Art Barstow

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                       Widgets Voice Conference

   [2]Agenda

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JanMar/0622.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2009/03/05-wam-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Art, Frederick, Josh, Jere, Marcos, Arve, David, Benoit

   Regrets
          Claudio, Bryan

   Chair
          Art

   Scribe
          Art

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Review and tweak agenda
         2. [6]Announcements
         3. [7]DigSig + P&C synchronization
         4. [8]Issue-19 - Widgets digital Signatures spec does not meet
            required use cases and requirements;
         5. [9]Issue-80 - Runtime localization model for widgets
         6. [10]Issue-82 - potential conflict between the XHTML
            <access> and Widget <access> element.
         7. [11]Issue-83 - Instantiated widget should not be able to
            read digital signature.
         8. [12]Widget requirement #37 (URI scheme etc) - see e-mail
            from Thomas:
         9. [13]Open Actions
        10. [14]June f2f meeting
        11. [15]TPAC meeting in November
        12. [16]Window Modes
        13. [17]Editorial Tasks
        14. [18]Anything Else
     * [19]Summary of Action Items

   <scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

   <scribe> Scribe: Art

   Date: 5 March 2009

   <fjh> widgets signature editors draft update

   <fjh>
   [20]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-digsig/#locating-signatures

[20] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-digsig/#locating- signatures

   <fjh>
   [21]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-digsig/#locating-signatures

[21] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-digsig/#locating- signatures

Review and tweak agenda

   AB: agenda posted March 4 - is
   [22]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JanMar/06
   22.html
   ... the main agenda items are Open Issues. I only want to spend a
   few minutes on each of them to get a sense of where we are e.g.
   still Open, pending inputs, can be Closed. Any detailed technical
   discussions should occur on public-webapps mail list.
   ... Are there any change requests?

[22] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JanMar/0622.html

   [ None ]

Announcements

   AB: I don't have any urgent announcements
   ... what about others?

   FH: please submit comments on XML Sig 1.1 drafts

   DR: I will respond to Art's BONDI 1.0 email so please look at that

   <fjh> please review XML Signature 1.1 and XML Signature Properties
   FPWD

   <fjh> [23]http://www.w3.org/News/2009#item25

     [23] http://www.w3.org/News/2009#item25

   MC: I uploaded the Window Modes spec; would like to get that on the
   agenda

DigSig + P&C synchronization

   AB: earlier this week Frederick asked me if the DigSig + P&C specs
   are now in synch, based on last week's discussions?

   <fjh>
   [24]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-digsig/#locating-signatures

[24] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-digsig/#locating- signatures

   AB: I believe the answer is yes.
   ... where are we on this?

   MC: FH and I talked about this
   ... I think this is mostly now addressed
   ... P&C has no real depedency on DigSig

   <fjh> marcos notes merged steps 4 +5, moved locating to dig sig,
   removed signature variable from p + c

   MC: I haven't completed the P&C changes yet
   ... e.g. renumber some steps

   <fjh> fjh notes revised text on locating to fit it within digsig but
   essence is same

   FH: I had to revise the location text a bit but the logic is the
   same
   ... Josh asked about the sorting
   ... I need to think about that a bit more

   JS: need to clarify diff between "9" and "009"
   ... we can take this discussion to the list

   FH: I agree we need more rigor here

   MC: I agree too
   ... need to address case sensitivity too

   AB: can we point to some existing work?

   FH: I don't think this is a big issue and agree we can discuss on
   the list

   AB: what needs to be done then?

   FH: I need to make a few changes to DigSig and MC needs to do a bit
   more on P&C

   JS: re styling, orange doesn't work well for me regarding
   readability

   MC: I can help with that

   FH: I'll take a pass at that

   DR: re the ell curve issue, I have asked OMTP to provide comments by
   March 9 so I should have data for the WG by Mar 12

Issue-19 - Widgets digital Signatures spec does not meet required use
cases and requirements;

   AB: do we now consider this issue adequately addressed to close it?
   ... <[25]http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/19>
   ... my gut feel here is this is now addressed and we can close it.
   ... any comments?

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/19%3E

   MC: the DigSig enumerates reqs it addresses
   ... it's a bit out of sync
   ... we need to sync the Reqs doc with the DigSig spec re the reqs
   ... so I think we can close it

   AB: any other comments?

   FH: not sure how much synching we need to do on the reqs
   ... I do think we can close this issue

   RESOLUTION: we close Issue #19 as the spec now adresses the original
   concerns

Issue-80 - Runtime localization model for widgets

   AB: are there still some pending actions and input needed?
   ... <[26]http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/80>
   ... what is the plan for the next couple of weeks?

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/80%3E

   MC: I added a new example to the latest ED
   ... I still have some additional work on the model
   ... I talked with JS earlier today
   ... I'm still uneasy re the fwd slash "/"
   ... we must maintain the semantics of URI
   ... Need to understand if we can do it without the leading /
   ... and to still have the fallback model

   <Marcos>
   [27]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/#fallback-behavior-example

     [27] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/#fallback-behavior-example

   AB: note there are related actions 298 and 299
   ... are there other inputs you need?

   MC: by the end of the day I hope to have something to share with
   Jere and Josh

   JK: I will review it later and send comments

   AB: we need not just Editors but technical contributors too

   DR: it would be helpful if MC could identify areas where Bryan can
   help

   AB: any other comments on #80?
   ... we will leave that open for now

Issue-82 - potential conflict between the XHTML <access> and Widget
<access> element.

   AB: What, if anything, should be done?
   ... <[28]http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/82>

     [28] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/82%3E

   MC: re last Topic, Jere, please consider XML Base when you review
   the new inputs

   JK: yes, good point and that should be reflected in the spec

   MC: this can be conceived of as a virtual file system at the
   conceptual level

   JK: don't want the spec to specify a file system

   MC: agree; I was just using that as part of my mental model

   <JereK> I thought it was just shuffling URLs also in impl

   AB: re #82 was not discussed in Paris
   ... what are people thinking?

   MC: I think we can close this since we are using a separate
   namespace

   Arve: agree

   AB: other comments?
   ... I completely agree

   <timeless> "namespaces will save us ;-)"

   AB: propose we close this with a resolution of "we address this by
   defining our own namespace"
   ... any objections to this proposal?

   <JereK> or "believe in namespaces or not" :)

   RESOLUTION: close Issue #82 - we address by defining our own
   namespace

Issue-83 - Instantiated widget should not be able to read digital
signature.

   AB: What is the status of this issue and is this against P&C spec of
   DigSig spec?
   ... <[29]http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/83>
   ... did you create this Marcos?

     [29] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/83%3E

   MC: yes. It was raised by Mark

   FH: this issues identifies an potential attack

   AB: is this something we must address in v1?

   MC: yes. Need a 1-liner in the DigSig spec

   FH: I don't quite understand the issue though

   MC: me neither

   FH: we already have some security consids
   ... I recommend we get some more information from Mark

   AB: so we need to get more info from Mark?

   MC: yes

   FH: I don't understand the real threat scenario

   MC: me neither

   JS: same with me

   FH: I suggest this be closed unless we have new information and ask
   Mark to provide more information

   DR: or could leave it open until Mark responds

   AB: we'll leave it open for now and I'll take an action to ping Mark
   for more information on the threat scenario

   <scribe> ACTION: Barstow ask Mark to provide more information about
   the real threat scenario re Issue #83 [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2009/03/05-wam-minutes.html#action01]

Widget requirement #37 (URI scheme etc) - see e-mail from Thomas:

   AB: Thomas submitted some comments against Req #37 and I don't
   believe we have yet responded
   <[31]http://www.w3.org/mid/9dd110c1-d860-40c9-b688-2e08f4d86...@w3.o
   rg>
   ... perhaps we should take the discussion to public-webapps and drop
   it from today's agenda. OK?
   ... any comments?

[31] http://www.w3.org/mid/9DD110C1-D860-40C9- b688-2e08f4d86...@w3.org%3e

Open Actions

   AB: last week we created about 20 Actions and about 15 are still
   open.
   ... To continue to make good progress on our specs we need to
   address these actions ASAP
   ... Please review the actions and address any assigned to you.
   ... Also do indeed feel free to submit inputs to address others'
   actions
   ... Widget Actions are:
   <[32]http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/products/8>
   ... Let me know if you want agenda time for any of these Actions

     [32] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/products/8%3E

June f2f meeting

   AB: re location, we now have three proposals: Oslo/Opera,
   Edinburgh/OMTP and London/Vodafone. That's certainly sufficient to
   close the call for hosts.
   ... re the dates, June 2-4 are preferable.
   ... it will of course be impossible to satisfy everyone's #1
   priority

   DR: June 2-4 conflicts with OMTP meeting

   AB: we should also be as Green as we can as well as to try to
   minimize travel costs and simplify logistics for everyone, including
   those attending from other continents

   <fjh> that first week of june is not good for me

   AB: are there any other conflicts with June 2-4?
   ... are there any conflicts with June 9-11?

   <abraun> there are always places in North America. I can think of
   one place with lots of hotels ;)

   DR: not from OMTP's side

   MC: that's OK with Opera

   AB: anyone else
   ... it looks like June 9-11 then is best
   ... any comments about the location?

   <timeless> abraun: there's already SJ later in the year

   <timeless> so i think the us is out for this meeting

   DR: We are happy to cede with Dan's offer to host in London
   ... I think London is probably the most cost effective

   JS: housing in London can be very expensive
   ... I assume Edinburgh would be cheaper
   ... I expect to pay for this trip out of my own pocket

   <fjh>
   [33]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-digsig/#locating-signatures

[33] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-digsig/#locating- signatures

   Arve: lodging in London is not cheaper than Oslo

   DR: London is an inexpensive hub to get to
   ... i think airfare costs will dominate the overall cost of travel

   MC: we can live with London
   ... but want to host the next meeting

   AB: any other comments?

   JS: I need to check another calendar

   AB: I will make a decision in a week or so
   ... the leading candidate is London June 9-11

   JS: I just checked, no conflicts that week

TPAC meeting in November

   AB: Charles asked everyone to submit comments about the W3C's
   proposed TPAC meeting in November
   ... see
   <[34]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-webapps/2009JanMar/0
   044.html>
   ... I think the general consensus is: a) it's too early to make a
   firm commitment; b) we support the idea of an all-WG meeting; c) if
   there are sufficient topics to discuss then we should meet that
   week.
   ... Does that seem like a fair characterization? Does anyone have
   any other comments?

[34] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-webapps/ 2009JanMar/0044.html%3E

   <Marcos> ?

   <arve> did everyone, or just us get dropped from the call?

   <timeless> just you

   <arve> our call appears to be up, but we can't hear

   AB: Charles and I need to report to the Team by the end of next week
   ... again that November TPAC meetingn is in Silicon Valley

   JS: if Moz has a meeting I can piggy-back then that would increase
   my probability of attending

   FH: XML Security is tentatively planning to meet at TPAC on Thursday
   Friday, so to avoid overlap can Widgets meet Mon and Tue

   AB: I think the most we can report to the Team is "Yes, we
   tenatively have agreement to meet during TPAC"

Window Modes

   <Marcos> [35]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-wm/Overview.src.html

     [35] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-wm/Overview.src.html

   AB: this is Excellent Marcos!

   MC: give the credit to Arve :)

   AB: so this captures last week's strawman?

   MC: yes

   Arve: it also includes some interfaces

   MC: the APIs will be moved to the A&E spec
   ... it will only contain the defn of the modes and the Media Queries

   BS: this is a good start

   AB: anything else on this topic Marcos?

   MC: we will work on this over the next few weeks and get it ready
   for a FPWD

   AB: so a FPWD in the beginning of April?

   MC: yes, that would be ideal

Editorial Tasks

   DR: I asked OMTP members if they can contribute
   ... we have an offer from Bryan and ATT
   ... they want to know specifics

   AB: that's a good idea
   ... I want to first talk to the editors

   DR: OK. I will also see if I can get more support

   AB: any other comments on this topic?

Anything Else

   DR: I just responded to Art's BONDI Release Candidate e-mail
   ... we have extended the comment period to March 23
   ... the comments should all be public

   JS: I tried to submit feedback and I ran into problems with OMTP's
   web site
   ... it would be really good if the comments could be sent to a mail
   list

   DR: if you send me the comments that would be good

   JS: OK; will do but not this week

   AB: is the URI of the public comment archive available?

   DR: yes Nick sent it to public-webapps
   ... depending on the comments we will determine our next step
   ... the next OMTP meeting is the following week

   AB: thanks for the update David
   ... anythign else?
   ... Meeting Adjourned

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Barstow ask Mark to provide more information about the
   real threat scenario re Issue #83 [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2009/03/05-wam-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]