Anne van Kesteren wrote:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2007Mar/0066.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2007Apr/0009.html

I read those. That was long after this was initially discussed though. And also around the time I stopped being the active editor of the specification.

Er, indeed.  Those seem to be discussion of ElementTraversal.

I was pretty sure I'd raised the same issue with Selectors API, but the W3C list search is crappy enough that I can't find the posts... In fact, the only thread on the matter I can find is the "ACTION-87: Selectors API" thread (announcing that you plan to start working on the spec at) at <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2006Feb/0108.html>. Was that it?

In any case, the static implementation was considerably more complicated in Gecko, I suspect performance is a wash in most cases, though it's easy to create examples that are much faster with one or the other approach.

-Boris