Hi, Folks-

I discussed this a bit with Nikunj offline, in the context of the charter wording. He and I both agreed that the scope of the charter was too narrow (that was my fault; I changed the wording to reflect the abstract of the current Web Storage spec, and I probably shouldn't have), but we also agreed that the spec itself is higher profile and more important than the wording in the charter.

Jonas and others seem to support broadening the scope, and I've also been reading various posts in the blogosphere that also question whether SQL is the right choice (I see a lot of support for JSON-based approaches). At the very least, I think this group should discuss this more before committing to any one solution. I note that Ian was already open to an early spec revision on the same lines, so I hope this isn't controversial.

Rather than change the charter (which would require everyone who's already rejoined to re-rejoin at the simplest, and might require another AC review at the worst), Nikunj offered that he would be satisfied if more generic wording were put in the charter, and highlighted as an issue. I would propose something like, "This specification currently contains wording specific to a SQL or name-value pair storage solution, but the WebApps WG is discussing other structured storage alternatives that may better match the use cases and requirements." I leave it up to Nikunj to provide wording that would satisfy him.

If this is acceptable to the WG as a whole, I would ask that a message similar to the above be put in a prominent place in the spec. This seems like the soundest way forward.

Art, Chaals, care to chime in?  Other comments on this matter?

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs