Hi, Nikunj-

I think Mike was overly blunt, but essentially correct in his response, but I'd like to add a specific comment inline...

Nikunj R. Mehta wrote (on 6/24/09 8:13 PM):

On Jun 23, 2009, at 5:10 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
The Web Storage specification is someone dead-locked right now due to the
lack of consensus on whether to use SQL or not.

I don't buy this argument for an instant, and I'd be very surprised if anyone in the WebApps WG did. This specification was published as specified because it matched the behavior (more or less) of an implementation (WebKit), and it's disingenuous to pretend that that doesn't set a precedent for the future development of the specification.

Let's be frank: there is good reason to specify and standardize something that exists in a browser, because there is implementation experience, and opportunity for widespread adoption, which is often good; this is especially so with an implementation in a widespread open-source engine like WebKit, because it can be reused. I don't find fault with that premise.

But just because it's been implemented doesn't mean it's the correct or best (or even a good) solution. There is less justification for insisting on a single solution when it's only been implemented in one browser engine, and only just recently. There's little evidence that this will work well for other implementers, nor that this is the solution that works best for content developers.

I cannot take seriously a claim that a spec can't be changed due to a "lack of consensus" when the claimant has openly and repeatedly indicated a disinterest in consensus. So, the only conclusion I can draw is that the spec is currently in a holding pattern to allow the currently specified solution to gain defacto weight through real-world content, and possibly garner premature implementations before it is even in LC, thus making it all but impossible to change. As Kyle Weems put it: Deny, Delay, Too Late.

Nikunj has asked that his proposal be given equal weight and consideration. While I'm not sure that's possible even now, because of the existing implementation, I personally think it is reasonable to give him a platform to demonstrate the relative merits of his alternate proposal.

Like Mike said, Hixie is *an* editor of the Web Storage spec; I think it's entirely reasonable for Nikunj to co-edit the spec. It is neither too early, nor too late to present alternate models in the same spec. It's only just a FPWD.

That said...

The WG chair went ahead with the publication of the Web Storage draft
overriding serious objections about it's direction and emphasis. While
nominally the chair and editor are following a process in terms of
publication sequence, I see little evidence of a collaborative or group
effort. We are not here in the WG to merely rubber stamp a small group's
opinions as a standard.

Unfortunately, that small group normally consists of the browser vendors, and when they decide to implement something, there is value in bending with the wind.

I would endorse you, Nikunj, to edit the Web Storage spec to include your proposal. However, I will also say that the burden of proving that your solution is better lies on you. I'm not going to pretend this is not an uphill battle. If you or someone on the Oracle team wants to demonstrate an implementation of your proposal, or even better, contribute that code to the WebKit or Mozilla codebase, that would be a compelling way of demonstrating relative merits... cutting-edge authors could experiment with both and provide feedback about what aspects of each they prefer. That would be an effective argument in favor of one or the other.

I will say that Hixie's proposal (which, if I understand it, comes from Apple's implementation) has an advantage, because he has been working within W3C and directly with browser vendors for a while; he knows how to write specifications in the style that implementers prefer, and he also has their respect on technical matters. You would do well to specify your proposal in a manner similar to his, with similar detail, and to cultivate credibility and relationships with browser vendors if you want to gain preference for your proposal. I'm sorry this is not the most encouraging statement, but I believe it is factual, and it is intended as helpful advice.

My problem, however, is that the WG is operating in an autocratic and an
unaccountable manner.

It's operating in a competitive manner, which is unsurprising considering that it is composed largely of rival companies. Letting Apple get the upper hand in that competition through its preemptive implementation of web storage is suboptimal, and I would hope that the better technical solution would bear out. But it does not violate process as far as I can see.

Mike and I are here to aid the WG and to advise the group on process, but we are not here to referee. We simply don't have the time or resources.

I suppose I would ask the chairs to weigh in on what they think the best way forward is here.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs