On Sep 24, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
On Sep 24, 2009, at 2:16 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
On Sep 24, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

Any TC39 members whose employers can't join could perhaps become Invited Experts to the W3C Web Applications Working Group, if that facilitates
review.

Unfortunately, no.  See #2 and #3 below:

http://www.w3.org/2004/08/invexp.html
It depends on the nature of the employer, and the reason they are unable to join. Historically there have been Invited Experts in W3C Working Groups who are employed by such organizations as universities or small start-ups. We even have some in the HTML Working Group. So it would probably be more accurate to say "it depends" and that it may be subject to the judgment of the W3C Team.

I've discussed the specific case with the W3C, and it is the case that in the judgment of the W3C Team, the answer in this specific case is no.

You, of course, are welcome to try again in the hopes of getting a different answer.

I didn't know that there was a specific case driving this concern. I thought this was a general worry about, e.g., university researchers. I would not ask the W3C Team to reconsider specific cases where they have already rendered a judgment.

Regards,
Maciej