On Sep 26, 2009, at 5:20 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Maciej Stachowiak [mailto:m...@apple.com]

I expect there are relatiively few such capabilities, and little
interest in depending on new ones, and therefore we do not really have
a general ongoing problem of language design.

We have an ongoing problem of language design in that all new language
features must integrate with existing features. Combinatory feature
interactions is one of the larger challenges of language design.

From a quick scan of WebIDL, I see the following:

1) Catchall getters, putters, deleters, definer.
  - Variants that can make the catchall check happen either before
or after normal property lookup.
  - General string-based name access and index-only versions.
No comment, I need to come up to speed on the detailed semantic requirements

They are pretty similar to the way Array overrides [[DefineOwnProperty]] or the way String defines

  - Note: I think catchall deleters are used only by Web Storage and
not by other new or legacy interfaces.

Seems like a strong reason to change to the proposed API to eliminate the need for
a new ES language extension.

I previously argued for removing the need for catchall deleters from the Web Storage API (since nothing else requires , but other browser vendors (including Mozilla) were happy with it, and I think now everyone (including I believe Microsoft) has implemented the spec behavior. See prior discussion thread here: <http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2008-May/014851.html >. At this point, since we have multiple deployed implementations of Web Storage, we'd have to investigate whether it's safe to remove this behavior without breaking content.

2) Ability to support being called (via [[Call]]) without being a
Function.

Not an issue with the core ES5 semantics. Most ES3/5 section 15 functions have this characteristic. As long as such WebIDL objects are defined similarly to the "built-in" function they too can have this characteristic. It may well be useful to introduce a mechanism defining such "pure" functions in the language but it probably isn't necessary to proceed with the WebIDL binding. The important thing to try to avoid is specify
a custom [[Call]]

I tend to agree that this behavior (and the next 3) are not philosophically problematic, even though they cannot today be implemented in pure ECMAScript.

3) Ability to support being invoked a constructor (via [[Construct]])
without being a Function.

Essentially same as 2 although the standard [[Construct]] requires a [[Call]] so this
may need some more thought.

4) Ability to support instanceof checking (via [[HasInstance]])
without being a constructor (so myElement instanceof HTMLElement works).

Possibly the specification of the instanceof operator needs to be made extensible

5) Ability to have [[Construct]] do something different than [[Call]]
instead of treating it as a [[Call]] with a freshly allocated Object
passed as "this".

Similar to 4 regarding extensibility. At least one recent "harmony" strawman proposal is
moving in a direction that may be relevent to 4 and 5.
See http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:obj_initialiser_constructors

Interesting. This may provide a way to implement some of these behaviors in pure ECMAScript. The current proposal does allow [[Construct]] without [[Call]], but not [[Call]] and [[Construct]] that both exist but with different behavior.

Regards,
Maciej