On Oct 20, 2009, at 5:36 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Robert O'Callahan <rob...@ocallahan.org > wrote:
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Ennals, Robert <robert.enn...@intel.com >
wrote:

Should we also consider the case where a web site wants to keep its
interface up to date with some server state and is using up CPU time and
network resource to do so?

You could abuse my proposal to do this, by periodically (as frequently as you run script now) calling requestAnimationFrame and seeing if you actually
get a paint event. Maybe that's not an ideal solution, though.

Yeah, I think having an API that lets you check if the page is
visible, as well as an event that lets you know when the visibility
changes, would be a good idea. That's better than adding *WhenVisible
APIs, like setTimeoutWhenVisible, EventSourceWhenVisible, etc.

I agree. I like a status flag plus event better than adding WhenVisible variants. The Web app can then decide what activity to throttle when the page is not visible.

 - Maciej