On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 23:13:20 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak <m...@apple.com> wrote:

On Nov 18, 2009, at 2:03 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 9:35 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <m...@apple.com>
wrote:
Further: if the other vendors planning to ship Web Database
implementations (Google, Opera

What they are going to ship is mostly the same implementation as
yours.

It sounds like Opera intends to use the same database engine, but I
would be very surprised if they used any of our code that implements
the API, threading, query management, etc. As I've mentioned before,
that is a substantial amount of code, and is the part that implements
what the Web Database actually specifies.

In principle there is indeed no reason to suppose that we would use the same code as Webkit, any more than it makes sense to assume that IE will just copy/paste mozilla code. But we work to make implementations interoperable - that's what standards are about...

But I agree that it's premature to abandon WebDatabase. You should
have a chance to spec out the SQL dialect. There is negligible risk
of anyone significant implementing WebDatabase unaware of the
objections. There is a greater risk that authors will come to depend
on it because they think it's headed for spec status, but
implementations and marketing will encourage that anyway.

Some authors have already come to depend on it without really caring
about the future or present spec status. I don't think we can stuff
that genie back in the bottle.

I think it make sense to clarify in working drafts that this spec is unlikely to be interoperable across the web at large, but is usable for various specific systems.

I don't think it makes sense to just turn it into a note at this stage - as the Google guys said, let's get some experience with WebSimpleDB before we make a final call. Likewise, I agree with Robin that it might not make sense to take this to Last Call, because of the uncertainty about where we are going to end up.

cheers

Chaals