Jonas,

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:

> >> Why not just do:
> >> myTimings = {};
> >> myTimings.fooStart = new Date();
> >>
> >> etc? Javascript has perfectly good ways to store values already.
> >
> >     window.timing property keeps timing info of previous navigation as
> well
> > so the Tick
> > interface also provides a way to pass custom POI to the next page. Some
> > security
> > measure need to be added later though.
>
> Sounds like simply using
>
> sessionStorage.myTimings = {};
> sessionStorage.myTimings.fooStart = new Date();

  right. Tick() is indeed supposed to be a thin wrapper around the web
storage.
Now come to think of it, I tend to agree that it is probably not worthy
putting in the spec.
Thanks for the catch.

> >> That surprises me. See my first answer above.
> >
> >     I meant these properties are in the latency critical path of the
> element
> > it belongs to...

> >> Specs can be changed, nothing is set in stone :)
> >
> >     Good to know. :-) Having more data exported in the progress events
> will
> > be
> > good news to those performance debugging tools. When collecting latency
> > field data, many developers perfer to fetch all timing info of an
> > element (window.document?)
> > at once and send a json object.
> > thanks,
> > Zhiheng
>
> While I agree that timing information is important, I don't think it's
> going to be so commonly used that we need to add convenience features
> for it. Adding a few event listeners at the top of the document does
> not seem like a big burden.

    User latency is quite sensitive to scripts at the top of the page.
And it would be really bad if the measurement instrumentations themselves
would much slow down the page. :-) Also, event listeners might not work in
some corner cases (meta-refresh redirection?) Last, some (probably minor)
concerns rise from the discrepancies between a natively recorded timestamp
and that done in a js callback.

thanks,
Zhiheng