On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Daniel Cheng <dch...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 09:00, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@webkit.org> wrote:
>
>> Making it live seems more efficient.  If we allowed arbitrary MIME types
>> and spec'ed to always return the same data, then we must copy contents in
>> the clipboard of all MIME types into some internal data structure.  This
>> will create a huge performance bottle-neck because even if the page never
>> called getData, we need to make copies of, say, a 5MB jpeg image and the
>> corresponding 100MB bmp along with various other MIME types in the clipboard
>> when firing paste or copy event.
>>
>> - Ryosuke
>>

> It is definitely less efficient, but it's already how drag-and-drop works
> in Chrome.

But I'd imagine users do copy & paste happens far more frequently than they
do drag & drop.  I do see your point in making non-live though.  I've got an
impression that we shouldn't spec this after all.  The correct behavior from
security perspective may differ on each platform, and it's probably counter
productive to try to agree on one behavior.

- Ryosuke