On , Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 2/25/11, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@opera.com> wrote:
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 04:05:44 +0100, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...@gmail.com>
wrote:
OK. Why not expose a generic version of `fire` to the scripting
environment?

I do not know of any research (or have done any myself) as to how often
such a feature might be useful for authors. While firing an event is
currently a series of steps (using proposed optional arguments):

   var e = document.createEvent("Event")
   e.initEvent("test")
   dispatchEvent(e)

... it is not hugely complicated. (We could even make the argument to
createEvent optional too and default it to "Event".) I could imagine
having something like EventTarget.fireEvent(name) but if you want to get a
little beyond the basics you will remain stuck with creating the event
yourself.

Your example is simple. But some common cases of synth events are
complicated. UI Events aren't so bad but MouseEvents and especially
TouchEvents are a lot of work to synthesize.

Most cases for synth events are for testing -- feature test or unit test.

EventTarget.fireEvent(type[, options]);

That's going into the Internet Explorer API.