On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 19:47:47 +0100, Arun Ranganathan <a...@mozilla.com> wrote:

On 1/31/11 11:04 AM, Simon Pieters wrote:
Hi,

Why is FileList defined as

     typedef sequence<File> FileList;

rather than as an interface similar to NodeList? It seems that in Gecko and WebKit FileList is more like NodeList than as a sequence.

(In the process of going through feedback to prepare FileAPI for Last Call Status, I realize I overlooked this message. My apologies for that.)

So this goes back to the earliest versions of the specification, when WebIDL itself was in flux. Sequence parametrized types were considered a superior choice owing to having a lot of the hard work of defining these kinds of datatypes "in-built", and I was urged by Hixie and others to adopt it for FileList. I *originally* had NodeList (or something else akin to the classic array model -- can't remember now :) ).

Do you disagree that FileList should be a sequence parametrized type? Would you rather I revert back to earlier WebIDL constructs? I'm happy to do so, *especially* if these stand as LC blockers for any implementer, but I personally don't feel a lot of reason to change it, since I think WebIDL accounts for the FileList use case. Do you disagree strongly?

Other tasks remain before LC, obviously -- notably, an event queue overhaul of the spec. to make it closer to what HTML5 does -- but I've continued to update the Editor's Draft:

http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/

Personally I don't think one is more superior than the other. However, I will note that Opera has implemented (but not shipped yet) NodeList-like FileList. That makes three browsers that implement NodeList-like, and none that follow the spec. It seems easier to change the spec than to change the implementations.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software