On 03/31/2011 05:19 PM, ext Nathan Kitchen wrote:
I've been watching discussions on IndexedDB for a while now, and
wondered if anyone would mind spending a few moments to explain how
IndexedDB is related (or not) to WebSQL. Is IndexedDB seen as replacing
the functionality originally offered by WebSQL? If not, are there any
plans to make a cross-platform variant of Web SQL?

WebSQL in its current form is pretty dead, see http://www.w3.org/TR/webdatabase/ : <quote>Beware. This specification is no longer in active maintenance and the Web Applications Working Group does not intend to maintain it further.</quote>

And:
<quote>This document was on the W3C Recommendation track but specification work has stopped. The specification reached an impasse: all interested implementors have used the same SQL backend (Sqlite), but we need multiple independent implementations to proceed along a standardisation path.</quote>

I suggest you to look at the mailing list archive if you want all the details.

cheers,
Benjamin