From: public-webapps-requ...@w3.org [mailto:public-webapps-requ...@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Keean Schupke
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 10:17 PM

>> Something like RelationalDB gives you the power of a relational-db with no
>> dependence on a specific implementation of SQL, so it would be compatible
>> enough for the web.  It fixes all the problems with the standardisation of
>> WebSQL that have been talked about so far.  I think it would find no
>> technical issues that block its standardisation.  As a high level DB API it
>> does not need all the low-level features of IndexedDB, so its API can be
>> much simpler and cleaner. RelationalDB can at least be provided as a library
>> on top of IndexedDB, and it can use WebSQL where it is supported. My concern
>> with the library approach is performance when implemented on top of
>> IndexedDB.

The goal of IndexedDB has always been to enable things like RelationalDB and
CouchDB to be built on top, while maintaining a reasonable level of
functionality for those that wanted to use it directly. I really like the idea
of thinking of RelationalDB as something that's built as a library on top of
IndexedDB. Are there specific tweaks we can make to IndexedDB so it can be a
good lower-layer for RelationalDB, such that RelationalDB could be built as a
pure JavaScript library?

Thanks
-pablo