On 05/02/2011 04:50 AM, ext Hallvord R. M. Steen wrote:
event.clipboardData.getDocumentFragment()

which would return a parsed and when applicable sanitized view of any
markup the implementation supports from the clipboard. Rich text editors
could now use normal DOM methods to dig through the contents and
remove/add cruft as they wish on the returned document fragment, before
doing an appendChild() and preventing the event's default action.

For me, this problem looks very similar to the common pattern of getting HTML fragment out of XHR response.

I think a general solution for parsing fragments would be better than this kind of special function only available through the clipboard.

Mozilla has some good tools for this kind of problems: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Code_snippets/HTML_to_DOM

I would enjoy seeing a standard solution like this for the issue :)

cheers,
Benjamin