On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Kenneth Russell <k...@google.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Andrew Wilson <atwil...@google.com> wrote:

>>> My first thought is that so far no implementer has stepped up and said
>>> that changing the meaning of the 'ports' argument would not be
>>> acceptable. Would be great if someone who is reading this thread and
>>> who works at Google/Apple/Opera could check with the relevant people
>>> to see if such a change would be possible.
>>
>> It's certainly possible - there's nothing intrinsically difficult with
>> making this change from an implementor's point of view (I've had my fingers
>> in both the WebKit and Chromium MessagePort implementations so I'm
>> relatively confident that this would not be prohibitively hard).
>> Is it desirable? My knee-jerk reaction is that we should stick with changes
>> that are compatible with the existing API (like Ian's original suggestion,
>> or adding a separate optional array of transferable objects) - I have no
>> data on the number of sites that are using the current API but I don't think
>> we should be changing existing APIs with multiple implementations without
>> significant motivation. The stated motivations for breaking this API don't
>> seem compelling to me given the existence of backwards-compatible
>> alternatives.
>
> Drew pointed me off-list to the original discussion motivating the
> addition of the optional argument for the array of ports:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-comments/2009Mar/0001.html
>
> As I've been thinking more about Ian's original proposal, it seems to
> me that I might have misunderstood the intent.
>
> The current optional array of MessagePorts is very close to supporting
> the semantic of transfer of ownership that is desired. If a
> MessagePort is passed in this array, its ownership is transferred to
> the other side. The undesirable aspects seem to be:
>
> 1) It doesn't seem to be allowed to refer to those MessagePort objects
> in the object graph which is the first argument to postMessage. At
> least, it looks to me like the structured clone algorithm will throw a
> DATA_CLONE_ERR exception if it encounters a MessagePort object.
>
> 2) The array of ports shows up on the other side as the "ports"
> property of the MessageEvent.
>
> (1) could be solved, and in a backward-compatible way, by defining the
> behavior of MessagePort under structured clone. "Cloning" a
> MessagePort would cause a DATA_CLONE_ERR exception to be thrown, but
> if structured clone were taught about the objects to be transferred,
> then if a MessagePort were transferred, the cloned object graph could
> refer to the new instance on the other side.
>
> (2) is somewhat unfortunate but there are at least a few possibilities:
>  a) Change the "MessagePort[] ports" property to "Transferable[]
> ports", and let all Transferables show up in that array.
>  b) Leave the "MessagePort[] ports" property. Filter out all
> MessagePorts from the incoming Transferables[], and have only them
> show up in the ports array on the other side.
> [...]

e) Keep "MessagePort[] ports" the way it is but deprecate it.

I like that option the best. This, together with Kenneth's (1)
proposal above, also gives a better API for transferring message ports
as they don't have to be sent in a separate property, but can appear
in the normal object graph.

/ Jonas