* Dave Raggett wrote:
>Perhaps we need to distinguish auto generated attributes from those that
>are set by markup or scripts. Could you please clarify for me the
>difference between the html "style" attribute and the one you are
>referring to?  My understanding is that the html style attribute is set
>via markup or scripts and *doesn't* reflect all of the computed style
>properties for this DOM node.

You can manipulate the style attribute using DOM Level 2 Style features
like the ElementCSSInlineStyle interface instead of setting the value
as a string as you would when using .setAttribute and similar features.

  <script>
  onload = function() {
    var p = document.getElementsByTagName('p').item(0);
    p.style.margin = '0';
    alert(p.getAttribute('style'))
  }
  </script>

This would alert something like `margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px;
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px` or `margin: 0px;`.
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjo...@hoehrmann.de · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de