Sorry to jump in the middle of your discussion but after reading Eric's
questions e.g.

        I haven't fully absorbed the MediaStream API, but perhaps it
        would be more natural to make a connector in that API rather
        than modifying Blob?

I think this use case also applies for other stream/file/blob analysis
and processing e.g. Augmented Reality, Object Recognition, DSP, etc.

I've raised this recently across the related groups [1] with a simple
use case and a number of supporting requirements.

roBman

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webrtc/2011Jul/0170.html