On 13/10/11 7:58 PM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 1:32 AM, Sean Hogan <shogu...@westnet.com.au <mailto:shogu...@westnet.com.au>> wrote:

    Why do you assume that all other mutation observers should ignore
    such changes? If there's a library that's automatically syncing
    the document with a server, then such an observer certainly needs
    to know any mutations that happen in the document.

    - Ryosuke

    In the case of MathJax, the HTML rendering for math is generated
    in the browser. It is only the LaTeX that you would want synced on
    the server.

No, my use case addresses the case where you want to mirror the exact DOM state (except event handlers and script elements) elsewhere. And for that to work, I need to be able to see whatever MathJax is generating, NOT the LaTeX code.

For that use case I think you would be happy with my proposal which doesn't implement any filtering of mutation events at all.

By the way, I'm not arguing that the mutation observers proposal should provide a mechanism for hiding some mutations. I'm arguing that whatever solution is provided (even a complex one) still won't make mutation handling straight-forward... so why not just provide the simplest solution and let the js libs sort out the details.

Sean