On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 17:22:46 +0900, Alex Russell
<slightly...@google.com> wrote:
Yehuda is representing jQuery. I'll take his opinion as the global
view unless he choses to say he's representing a personal opinion.

You misunderstand. Boris is contrasting with CSS.

No, I'm talking purely about querySelector. The fact that at least Gecko and WebKit implement querySelector in a braindead way because that lets them reuse their selector matching code is a somewhat separate kettle of fish.

What we're discussing her, in particular, are optimizations that make use of the differences in use case between CSS selector matching (match one node to a bazillion selectors) and querySelector (match one selectors to possibly a bazillion nodes). There are ways to optimize the latter by examining the structure of the selector and making use of existing cached information in the browser that make no sense in the CSS context and would be implemented as a preprocessing pass before falling back on actual selector matching. WebKit does a few of these, of varying utility. I've considered doing some in Gecko, but again want to have hard data that they're actually needed before adding complexity.

-Boris