On 2011-11-29 21:24, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Julian Reschke<julian.resc...@gmx.de>  wrote:
On 2011-11-29 20:07, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

Since XPath and Selectors are 95% overlapping in functionality and
100% overlapping in goals and overall structure, I believe it is a bad
idea to try and develop both for the web platform.  Instead, we should

The proposal wasn't to "develop" XPath as in "doing more work on the
expression language".

What *was* proposed is to fix/standardize the API for XPath, which already
is part of the web platform.

Speccing, implementing, and testing an API is also "developing",
particularly when it appears there's a desire to spec, implement, and
test a new, more convenient API that's currently proprietary to a few
browsers.  For the reasons stated in my email, I believe this effort
to be a bad idea.

Well, if people are ready to do the specification, implementation and testing work, what's the reason to stop them? Yes, I know, "opportunity cost". But guess what, that's not going to be a convincing argument for those who really want that feature.

Best regards, Julian