On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Charles Pritchard <ch...@visc.us> wrote:
> Modern operating systems have efficient mechanisms to send a signal when a
> watched file or directory is modified.
>
> File and FileEntry have a last modified date-- currently we must poll entries
> to see if the modification date changes. That works completely fine in
> practice, but it doesn't give us a chance to exploit the efficiency of some
> operating systems in notifying applications about file updates.
>
> So as a strawman: a File.onupdated event handler may be useful.

It seems like it would be most useful if the File or FileEntry points
to a file outside the sandbox defined by the FileSystem spec.  Does
any browser currently supply such a thing?  Chrome currently
implements this [with FileEntry] only for ChromeOS components that are
implemented as extensions.  Does any browser let you have a File
outside the sandbox *and* update its modification time?

If you're dealing only with FileEntries inside the sandbox, there are
already more efficient ways to tell yourself that you've changed
something.