Hello,

I would like to comment on the current (20120313) WebSockets
specification.

The text sounds to me like it implicitly assumes that all
protocols are run over TCP.  It could be said that the choice
of URL makes it sufficiently general to include UDP (and
possibly SCTP), but the usage of terms like connecting sends
a hint to implementers that support of TCP would suffice.

If the intention is to create a TCP-only WebSocket, then I
think this should be made explicit.  And if UDP would also
be supported, then a remark around connection states that
some apply only to connection-oriented URL protocols would
send a clearer message to implementers.

I do think UDP is too important to discard from WebSockets;
among the things we can do with current technology (Flash or
Java) is a softphone running in a browser; in a TCP-only
HTML5 environment with deprecated support for these
technologies such options would have no standing ground.

I hope this is helpful feedback.

Best wishes,

Rick van Rein
OpenFortress