On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 23:02:22 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:
(DOM3's language
about "default actions" confuses this; I suggest reading DOM4's event
section to get a good picture of how this actually works.)

Or rather how the DOM4 editor is choosing to conceptualize it, which
may not have much bearing on how it actually works in actual browsers.

Last time I discussed this with Jonas Sicking he agreed that Gecko could
change some things here and he also agreed with the model put forward.
If the model is wrong we should fix it of course.

It's a conceptual model. I'm just saying that actual implementations behave differently on the inside; I don't think the difference is black-box distinguishable from a typical web page.

I'm not sure how extensions are relevant here.

Glenn asked why events need internal state that indicates whether they're trusted. Extensions are one of the reasons.

If you allow them to do
complex things then of course they will be complex to implement, but
there is not much we can do about that.

Sure there is, where "we" == "browser vendors". We can expose APIs to extensions to make them easier to implement. APIs that expose things like the trusted state of events.

-Boris