On 2012-06-20 10:42, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
In other words we have the same arguments that we had five years ago,
when we settled on querySelector as the one that provoked least objection.
But spending another few months arguing about it hasn't proven that we
are any wiser, nor (importantly) any closer to agreement.

This is why it should be an editorial decision, not a group vote. The least-objectionable alternative is rarely the best alternative, and trying to please everyone is a fool's errand. Hopefully, this time, the group will let me, as editor, evaluate the options and supporting rationale and make a decision based on that.

Right now, that draft uses find/findAll() simply because they're the names that were used throughout the discussion that led to them being added. There are still issues to resolve, however, which I would like feedback on.

In particular, is there really value in adding two distinct methods that differ only by whether they return 1 element or a collection? Resolving this issue first would help with resolving the naming issue.

It should be noted that JQuery/sizzle does not use querySelector() at all, AFAICS. It only uses querySelectorAll() and sometimes switches to .getElementById() or document.body.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/