On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Florian Bösch <pya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a snag with deadzoning and axis ranges. Driver enumeration of
> axes of an auto-calibrated device (or any device really) is often not
> delivering any usable information on this. There is a zoo of
> range/calibration utilities out there alongside some built-in utilities
> (don't know if windows still has those) which may or may not work
> satisfactory. I've tested a variety of devices for these issues, and after
> some work I came to the conclusion that the only way to reliably determine
> any dead zones and ranges is to let the user max out the axes and remember
> that.

This is still something implementations can deal with better than web
apps.  (Range calibration in Windows is done globally, but configuring dead
zones is very rare.)

Also, I'm guessing this isn't a problem for the Xbox 360 controller.

I strongly disagree that this should be objects. Working trough thousands
> of objects would be slow and would trigger the GC like mad.

On a quick test, Firefox is firing mousemove events at 120Hz; this is about
the same magnitude of data.  We don't currently have any infrastructure for
using ArrayBuffers for complex data, so it'd either need to be something
new (some sort of "complex view"), or an unfriendly API.  Either would be a
major obstacle to getting anything adopted.

--
Glenn Maynard