On Aug 7, 2012, at 17:06 , Glenn Maynard wrote:
> A different option, equivalent to users, is to make URLObject a base class of
> Blob.  URLObject would replace Blob in methods like FileReader.readAsDataURL,
> createObjectURL and all other places where methods can work without knowing
> the size in advance.  It would have no methods or attributes (at least at the
> start).  In other words,
>
> - URLObject represents a resource that can be fetched, FileReader'd,
> createObjectURL'd, and cloned, but without any knowledge of the contents (no
> size attribute, no type attribute) and no slice() as URLObjects may not be
> seekable.
> - Blob extends URLObject, adding size, type, slice(), and the notion of
> representing an immutable piece of data (URLObject might return different
> data on different reads; Blob can not).

+1 from me on this one.

I get a sense that this could possibly be a consensus position (or at least I'm
going to claim that it is so as to get disagreement to manifest). Assuming it
is, the next steps are:

• Having agreed on a solution, do we agree on the problem? (i.e. would this get
implemented?)
• If so, we can bake this as a standalone delta spec but it would make more
sense to me to make the changes directly to the relevant specs, namely FileAPI
and XHR. I've copied Anne, Arun, and Jonas — any thought? In either case, I'm
happy to provide the content.