Web Applications Working Group,

Greetings. In a 2010 Scientific American article, Tim Berners-Lee indicated
some concerns about social networking websites. Concerns were expressed about
social networking websites which were described as "walled gardens".  Concerns
indicated included that social networking websites were "walling off
information posted by their users from the rest of the Web" and he warned
Americans that, if Facebook and others proceeded unchecked, "the Web could be
broken into fragmented islands" and "we could lose the freedom to connect with
whichever Web sites we want."

In January of this year, parties, including Politico, purchased bulk social
networking data of a political nature from Facebook. "Social media has forever
changed the way candidates campaign for the presidency," said John F. Harris,
editor in chief of Politico. "Facebook has been instrumental in expanding the
political dialogue among voters and we couldn’t be more excited about the
opportunity to offer our readers a look inside this very telling conversation."

Amidst privacy, civil liberty, and other societal concerns, resultant concerns
include a need for a new reasoning, possibly new legislation, with regard to
some political processes in the information age such as reapportionment,
redistricting, or gerrymandering. In 1994, Ted Harrington, political science
chair at the University of North Carolina indicated "there is no issue that is
more sensitive to politicians of all colors and ideological persuasions than
redistricting. It will determine who wins and loses for eight years."

Voters should have easy access to the platform and campaign information of
federal, state and local candidates.  Even with the expansive potential of
web-based news, we can observe that national news and election news has
continued to eclipse state and local news and election news. It could be that
insufficient menu systems on news websites, such as Google News, have
contributed to the perpetuation of partisan politics, some coattail effects,
and the status quo.

The United States' two-party system more resembles those of formerly British
island nations (e.g. Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Dominica, Figi, Grenada,
Jamaica, Malta, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the
Grenadines, Seychelles, Sri Lanka, Trinidad and Tobago) or island British
territories (e.g. Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Montserrat,
Turks and Caicos Islands) than the multi-party political systems of some larger
and populous nations with historical ties to the British Empire (e.g.
Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, Jordon, New Zealand, Pakistan, and Great
Britain).

As we approach two years since the aforementioned Scientific American article,
a broad and comprehensive list of concerns can be compiled from the various
opinions of many scientists and technologists.

A socialization industry is a cause for concern with regard to democratic
elections.

It occurs that computer technology, P2P technology, can facilitate
decentralized socialization scenarios on the Internet. So too can results of
research into networking protocols for distributed social networking
applications, e.g. HTTP 2.0 based, XML-based technologies, as well as developer
libraries.

Kind regards,
Adam Sobieski