When implementing :scope support, I discovered that as things stand this call:

  document.querySelector(":scope")

is specified to return null. In particular http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api2/#queryselector step 1 calls http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api2/#determine-contextual-reference-nodes which returns an empty set. Then this empty set is passed as an explicit contextual reference set to selector matching in http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api2/#evaluate-a-selector so that :scope doesn't match anything.

Is this intentional? I would have expected the above call to return the documentElement, which is what :scope would match in a non-scoped stylesheet...

-Boris