Sorry for the extra email, but I realize we didn't discuss 'constructor'.

Most user-agents today cannot construct an HTML element via a vanilla
constructor. For example,

new HTMLDivElement()
>> TypeError: Illegal constructor

The problem is that element construction code typically does 'under the
hood' bindings. There are efforts afoot to bring browser internals closer
to JavaScript, but we are not there yet.

For this reason, the 'custom elements' work in general has real problems
with constructors. Ideally we want to be able to register a vanilla
JavaScript class with a tag name and be done with it, but it cannot be so.

In the meantime, the custom elements systems all _produce_ a constructor
for you, and the best you can do is define the prototype and do your
initialization tasks in special callbacks (aka _readyCallback_ as in my
previous email).

For example, you will see usage of document.register like this:

  XFoo = document.register("x-foo", {prototype: XFooPrototype});

Notice that the XFoo constructor is emitted by register, you don't get to
supply one.

Similarly, when you supply constructor="MyCustomElement" attribute to
<element>, you are asking the system to emit the generated constructor into
a variable named "MyCustomElement".

There is more to talk about on this subject but I feel like I've been
long-winded already. Follow ups appreciated.

P.S. XFooPrototype shown above must extend HTMLElement.prototype (or a
descendent).

P.P.S. You can get fancy and do stuff like this, but you have to be careful

          // potential foot-gun, will not actually be our constructor

XFoo = function() {
 this.textContent = "I'm an XFoo!";

};
XFoo.prototype = Object.create(HTMLElement.prototype);
XFoo.prototype.readyCallback = XFoo; // tricky! pretend we are using our
ctor
// almost what we want except we have to capture new XFoo on the
left-hand-side
XFoo = document.register("x-foo", XFoo);