> > BTW - have you considered allowing setting withCredentials to "false" for
> > same-origin resources?
>

> I suspect that would break sites.

Possibly, but I find it unlikely - if it's set, it's most likely usually set to
"true", not "false", and it's also most likely rarely set for same-origin
requests. Wonder how hard it would be to ship a test in some beta- or preview
build of some browser..? 8-)

> Making a boolean a tri-state with a
> default depending on an external variable is also super confusing.

To whom? "Defaults to true for same-origin, false for cross-origin, can be set
to override" seems to give authors a behaviour that's relatively intuitive.
(Authors would not really have to consider the odd tri-state underpinnings, it
still looks like a boolean except with a variable default behaviour).

It might be weird and confusing to implement though..
--
Hallvord R. M. Steen
Core tester, Opera Software