The issue I've come up against is in keyboard access to the DnD model.

Clipboard semantics exist in their own world, with OS quirks.

DnD presupposed some kind of security-consent from the user. It's one of the
most powerful gestures, allowing a user to grant read access to an entire
directory tree.

Unfortunately, we don't have that semantic easily accessed from the keyboard.

On the desktop, copy and paste hot keys are often used for keyboard access to
drag and drop, even though you can't copy a folder into a text document.

That's the state of things. I do think browser vendors should be responsible
for implementing DnD via keyboard. onclick works via keyboard but even with
input file, WebKit has not extended the same support as a DnD onto an input
element (vs click and file selection).

Process has stalled, there's a stalemate between vendors.

-Charles