>> http://w3c-test.org/web-platform-tests/master/XMLHttpRequest/send-entity-body-document-bogus.htm
>>
>> It passes a completely empty document without even a document element to
>> send(). No implementation throws.

> I think the reason here is that what the spec says is the right thing, and
> there probably isn't a Web compat reason not to do the right thing, but
> browsers haven't considered this to be high priority to fix.

Well, that may be the reason - and I'm not aware of any compat issues anyone
has had in the past because of exceptions here. It still seems a bit suspect
that all implementors have aligned perfectly on the spec-wise wrong behaviour.
It also carries a bit of a risk to push for introducing new exceptions and make
code that didn't throw historically change behaviour.

> Maybe we could remove the throwing from the spec, but it seems kind of sad
> to not catch this in the serializer.

Sort of.. but then again, I guess a completely empty string could be considered
a valid representation of a completely empty document..? :-)

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software