While Promises would address this concern, I'm reluctant to go with that
solution because it imposes yet-another-polyfill-dependency on the web
component polyfills/libs. If Promises had preceded Web Components by a few
years, and were presently at 80-90% penetration, it would be a different
story - but as it stands, I don't think it is the most sensible route.