On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2013, at 9:47 PM, Hajime Morrita <morr...@google.com> wrote:
>
> D. "H[ello Shado]w World" - selection spans outside to inside.
>

> Suppose we allowed this selection. Then how does one go about pasting this
> content elsewhere?
>
> Most likely, whatever other content editable area, mail client, or some
> random app (e.g. MS Word) into which the user is going to paste wouldn’t
> support shadow DOM and most certainly wouldn’t have the component the
> original page happened to have.

We have to define how Range.cloneContents() or extractContents() works
against shadow-selecting range, assuming selection is built on top of DOM
Range. This doesn't seem that complicated. As cloned element drops its
shadow, these range-generated nodes won't have shadow either.

> Or are you suggesting to copy/serialize the composed “DOM" tree?

No, it's same as copying on document tree we have today. Only difference is
that its tree scope is ShadowRoot instead of Document. I don't think this
difference is significant.

Actually, <textarea> can be (and is) implemented on top of UA shadow DOM.
What we need is a way to explain this.

> What unclear for me is:
>
> - For case of C, should we consider "Shadow" being selected? Naively
> thinking yes, but the implication isn't that clear.
>
> - Should we have a way to forbid B to ensure the selection atomicity?
> Probably yes, but I don't think we have one. The spec could clarify this
> point. My feeling is that this is tangential to Shadow DOM and is more
> about generic "selection atomicity" concept. It could be covered by a CSS
> property for example.
>

> Doesn't -moz-user-select/-ms-user-select: element do that already?

Oh right. This is exactly what I wanted. Thanks for pointing this out!

--
morrita