This seems related to discussion around selection [1].

My claim there was that the selection shouldn't cross shadow boundary, at
least from the boundary crossing shouldn't be visible script.

If this invariant is kept, we can model copy-pasting in DOM land, without
thinking about Shadow DOM nor composed tree because the selection sees only
one level of (shadow) subtree.

This means copying/pasting does drop Shadow tree. This might look bad from
pure Shadow-DOM perspective. But it isn't that bad in practice where Shadow
DOM is expected to be used with Custom Elements. Though callbacks, custom
element definition rebuilds shadow trees of copied elements. This is
similar to what built-in elements like <input> are doing.

This also means that:

- Each Custom Element needs to keep serializing states in non-Shadow DOM if
it wants to be copy-paste ready. If you build <x-menu> and and want to make
it copy-pasteable, you will have to hold <item> or something in your
(non-shadow) DOM. <input> is good example. It holds state in @type and
@value attributes.
- Copying does work only between the document which give appropriate custom
element definitions. This might sound bad but actually is reasonable
consequence. Custom elements are useless without its definitions anyway.
Defining cross-document copying of custom element is too complex to have,
at least for initial version of these standards.

Even though there are limitations, this allows in-place copying of
well-made, shadow-backed custom elements, and it aligns how built-in
elements behave (in man browsers I believe).

That being said, composed-tree based copying might make sense for
inter-document copying and copying into non-browser environments like
mailers and note-taking apps. In this case, people won't expect copied
elements "live" and it will be OK to use composed-tree without scripting,
that is essentially a frozen snapshot of the elements. I'm not sure if the
spec should cover these though. It seems more like optimization that each
UA possibly offers.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2013OctDec/0097.html

--
morrita