On 02/06/2014 15:08 , Boris Zbarsky wrote:
On 6/2/14, 9:02 AM, James M Snell wrote:
I suppose that If you
needed the ability to sandbox them further, just wrap them inside a
sandboxed iframe.

The worry here is sites that currently have html filters for
user-provided content that don't know about <link> being able to run
scripts.  Clearly once a site knows about this they can adopt various
mitigation strategies.  The question is whether we're creating XSS
vulnerabilities in sites that are currently not vulnerable by adding
this functionality.

P.S. A correctly written whitelist filter will filter these things out.
  Are we confident this is standard practice now?

I haven't bumped into a blacklist filter in a *long* while. I suspect that any that might exist will be hand-rolled and not part of any platform. The odds are pretty strong that they're already unsafe if not wide open.

So I would say there's a risk, but not a huge one. That said, I still prefer Simon's approach.

PS: I've been wondering if adding an HTML sanitiser to the platform might make sense.