On 30/05/2014 00:50 , Julie Parent wrote:
Without default text input, the current proposal for
contentEditable="minimal" is essentially just enabling cursors (drawing
them, dispatching events, performing default actions).  Rather than
calling the mode "minimal", which is ill-defined, why not explicitly
call it what it is: "cursor-only"?

Sure, but (assuming we go this route) I'm not too worried about the name at the moment. We can define what it does, then pick a good name for it. That's the easiest bit to change.

 Or, have contentEditable take a list
of features to turn enable: contentEditable="enable-cursors
enable-CommandEvents".

I'd rather we agreed on the pieces we're going to have before we see if this can make sense.

Or, rather than tying this concept to contentEditable, with all the
assumptions and complications that brings up, why not expose this
building block as a completely separate attribute?

We can, but this isn't necessarily simpler. Saying we add an "editable" attribute, we then have to define what happens when you have <div contentEditable editable> (and various other niceties). It's not the end of the world, but it's a bit of extra complexity. Reusing the attribute name and giving it a value that triggers new behaviour doesn't bring in the complications, but it does give us a relatively clean syntax entry point.