On Jul 22, 2014, at 3:17 PM, Ben Peters <ben.pet...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Semi-trusted events in the Clipboard API spec [1] are a potential solution to
> an important problem- sites should be able to use the same infrastructure
> (clipboard events) with their own triggers (button with execCommand(‘paste’)
> as browser initiated clipboard operations (like user presses control+v or
> uses the context menu’s ‘paste’ option). However, I don’t really know if
> ‘semi-trusted’ events are the solution. Users will almost certainly be using
> the keyboard or mouse with websites, so requiring an event to originate from
> keyboard or mouse doesn’t seem to make them trusted at all. I know there has
> been some discussion of removing them from the spec [2].

I agree.  Users are going to click on somewhere in the page while browsing.  I
don’t see how, selecting a line of text, clicking on a hyperlink, or pressing
the down arrow key to scroll etc… could lead to indicate the user’s intention
to expose the clipboard/pasteboard’s content to the web page.  I, as an user,
certainly wouldn’t expect that to happen.

> As an alternative to semi-trusted events, perhaps we should have something
> similar to input type=”file”? Perhaps a new input type that must display a
> localized word for “cut”, “copy”, or “paste”, and must not be occluded by any
> other element, could trigger real, trusted clipboard events? I’m not sure how
> this would work, but it seems worth a discussion at least.

I think the challenge here is that the input=file brings up a dialog to choose
a file whereas copy/paste doesn’t typically show such an UI and guaranteeing
that the element isn’t occluded is that easy to determine for user agents.  On
the other hand, if we added a new element that’s guaranteed to be displayed on
top of all other elements (e.g. like a dialog element) then that might work.

- R. Niwa