This is a really solid list.  Thank you for pulling it together, so we can
start towards a harmonized set of user events.

From: Ben Peters [mailto:ben.pet...@microsoft.com]
Sent: Monday, August 4, 2014 7:28 PM
To: public-editing...@w3.org; Julie Parent; public-indie...@w3.org;
public-webapps
Subject: User Intentions Explainer (was: List of Intentions)

Cross-posted​: Editing TF, IndieUI TF, WebApps WG

In order to solve the broad issue of User Intentions, we have compiled below a
list of User Intentions derived from all of the sources of intention-style
events that I am aware of. I agree with Julie that some of the events below are
not in scope for Editing at this time. However, they are in scope for IndieUI,
and I think that we have an important opportunity here to bring all concepts of
"Intentions" together in a single explainer document so that 1) web developers
can have a coherent picture of how to understand User Intentions and 2) the
specs that concern User Intentions do not overlap. To that end, I propose that
we create a new User Intentions Explainer document, borrowing from the work of
the Editing Explainer and IndieUI to give an overview of how all of the
following Intention Events work together in a high-level non-normative form:

Clipboard API
HTML5 Drag and Drop
Selection API (beforeSelectionChange)
DOM Events (beforeInput)
IndieUI

Each of these specs solves some aspect of User Intentions, and they should be
coherent. For instance, we need to solve how beforeInput does not overlap
Clipboard and DnD, and consider moving some parts of IndieUI that apply to
input (undo/redo) to beforeInput.

Further, I propose that we fine-tune the Editing Explainer, making it clear
that there are two problems we're trying to solve in that space- Editing
Intentions and Extensible Web Editing. From there we can begin to create
normative specs for solving these two Editing problems.

The end result of this would be a high-level explainer for all known User
Intention specs, and a high-level explainer for Editing. Then we can solve each
individual problem more granularly while maintaining coherence. Thoughts?

From: Julie Parent <jpar...@google.com<mailto:jpar...@google.com>>