From: Hallvord R. M. Steen [mailto:hst...@mozilla.com]
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2014 20:19
To: public-webapps
Subject: [xhr] Questions on the future of the XHR spec, W3C snapshot

Apologies in advance that this thread will deal with something that's more in
the realm of politics.

First, I'm writing as one of the W3C-appointed "editors" of the "snapshot" the
WebApps WG presumably would like to release as the XMLHttpRequest
recommendation, but I'm not speaking on behalf of all three editors, although
we've discussed the topic a bit between us.

Secondly, we've all been through neverending threads about the merits of "TR,
spec stability" W3C style versus "living standard, spec freedom and reality
alignment" WHATWG style. I'd appreciate if those who consider responding to
this thread could be to-the-point and avoid the ideological swordmanship as
much as possible.

When accepting editor positions, we first believed that we could ship a TR of
XHR relatively quicky. (I think of that fictive TR as "XHR 2" although W3C
haven't released any XHR 1, simply because CORS and the other more recent API
changes feel like "version 2" stuff to me). As editors, we expected to update
it with a "next version" if and when there were new features or significant
updates). However, the WHATWG version is now quite heavily refactored to be
XHR+Fetch. It's no longer clear to me whether pushing forward to ship XHR2
"stand-alone" is the right thing to do.. However, leaving an increasingly
outdated snapshot on the W3C side seems to be the worst outcome of this
situation. Hence I'd like a little bit of discussion and input on how we should
move on.

All options I can think of are:

a) Ship a TR based on the spec just *before* the big Fetch refactoring. The
only reason to consider this option is *if* we want something that's sort of
stand-alone, and not just a "wrapper" around another and still pretty dynamic
spec. I think such a spec and the test suite would give implementors a pretty
good reference (although some corner cases may not be sufficiently clarified to
be compatible). Much of the refactoring work seems to have been just that -
refactoring, more about pulling descriptions of some functionality into another
document to make it more general and usable from other contexts, than about
making changes that could be observed from JS - so presumably, if an
implementor followed the TR "2.0" standard they would end up with a generally
usable XHR implementation.

b) Ship a TR based on the newest WHATWG version, also snapshot and ship the
"Fetch" spec to pretend there's something stable to refer to. This requires
maintaining snapshots of both specs.

c) Ship a TR based on the newest WHATWG version, reference WHATWG's Fetch spec
throughout.

d) Abandon the WebApps "snapshot" altogether and leave this spec to WHATWG.

For a-c the editors should of course commit to updating snapshots and
eventually probably release new TRs.

Is it even possible to have this discussion without seeding new "W3C versus
WHATWG" ideology permathreads?

Input welcome!
-Hallvord